What are OOSH eco tableware made of?
Till date, we have multiple generations of bioplastics in varying degrees of eco friendliness, derived from a range of renewable natural resources. Corn starch used to be the material for bioplastics but that was in the past. Today we have a wide range of biomaterial as our feedstock, from the humble plant based biomass to biotechnological derived surrogates. Each generation will have its own merits and performance capabilities to suit differing consumer segments.
Is OOSH eco tableware biodegradable?
All materials and chemical compounds will biodegrade over time, be it 1 day or 1000 years, yes including petroleum based plastic. A discussion of biodegradability can never be complete without an analysis on the totality of its biodegradation and its associated timeline. A meaningful stretch for biodegradability should ideally be 2 years or less for the case of eco friendly packaging. OOSH Generation 3 eco tableware can achieve this objective and will be introduced to the market in due course after further pilot tests. Generation 1 and 2 biobased bioplastics biodegrades as well but since biodegradation takes more than 2 years, no accreditation is sought relative to its more advanced counterparts.
Can OOSH eco tableware be washed and used again?
Yes, you can use it as many times as you deem fit. However, it is not recommended as its prolonged usage may result in the product becoming brittle.
Is it microwavable? If it is, how many minutes can it be?
Yes, it is for Generation 1 only. Recommended for medium heat setting for not more than 1 minute.
What happens when OOSH eco tableware is exposed to temperatures higher than 150 degree Celsius?
No leaching will occur. However, the product may become softer than usual.
Will there be food stains on OOSH eco tableware after coming into contact?
Generally stains will not occur unless the sauces are liken to that of curry, then some amount of stains adhere on the material.
At what levels of pH is it acid proof?
Our products can take acidity as low as pH 4 which is more than sufficient for the majority of the acidic foodstuffs commonly used.
How long can OOSH eco tableware be stored for?
In a dry and cool condition, it can be kept for at least 1 year. After that, they will become brittle.
Can OOSH eco tableware be composted in a home composter?
Yes but only for Generation 3 and up.
Can OOSH eco tableware be recycled?
Technically, bioplastics can be potentially recycled. However, the volume used by the citizenry and collected by the local municipalities must be sizeable enough to warrant a facility to tackle it.
Can OOSH eco tableware be eaten?
It cannot be digested by the human digestive system, although it is not poisonous even if accidentally swallowed.
Can printing be done?
Yes but we try to discourage printing as the process wastes energy and resources. Embossment is a better recommendation since this method of production is more resource efficient.
How do I know that OOSH eco tableware is green and safe?
See Accreditations tab.
What is considered as a good biobased packaging ?
Disposable packaging can only be discarded in 2 ways after usage,
- Littered carelessly or illegally on land or in the ocean
- Treated properly in a landfill or incinerator.
In our opinion, a perfect biobased packaging must fulfil 5 key traits:
- Be Independent of Finite Resources: Derived from renewables rather than petroleum, thus freeing up the latter for the production of products that last.
- Counter Pollution: Biodegrade quickly in soil, water and marine even if the used packaging is littered.
- Complement Landfills: Decay into carbon dioxide, water and other naturally occurring materials, be it in an aerobic or anaerobic environment.
- Refine Incineration: Even though incinerated packaging releases carbon dioxide back into the atmosphere, but because of its carbon neutrality in theory, there is no additional burden on our existing levels of carbon dioxide present. This will play a contributory role in reducing global warming.
- Be Capable of Recycling: This will be the last leg to create the perfect low carbon, circular economy.
Is your product corn ware?
Corn ware is a general term, meaning corn based, eco friendly, biodegradable, disposable tableware. Tableware such as forks, spoons, cups, plates and the like. Our bioplastic products are derived from a wide range of renewable materials and corn is one of the many.