Proposal for a Circular Economy
Governments can support the biobased plastic industry by:
- Taxation on petroleum based plastic packaging.
- Subsidies to encourage the usage of biobased bioplastics.
- Promoting the national practice of DIY home composting.
- Construction of more industrial composting facilities and legislating the measures for collection.
- Construction of bioplastics recycling facilities to promote a truly low carbon circular economy.
- Enforcing stricter laws on littering and pollution.
- Enforce mandatory recycling laws for non-bioplastics, from its disposal to collection and management.
The above measures will :
- Not limit our need for packaging,
- Fuel the scientific community’s search for the next better biobased polymer,
- Contribute a share in the reduction of global warming,
- Arrest the bane of pollution once and for all, since biobased plastics will just biodegrade in due course even if they get disposed recklessly, be it on land or in the oceans.