Proposal for a Circular Economy
Governments can support the biobased bioplastic industry in a circular economy by having the following ordinances in place:
- Taxation on petroleum based plastic packaging.
- Encourage food donations.
- Subsidies to encourage the usage of biobased bioplastics.
- Incentives for businesses and households to compost.
- Construction of industrial composting facilities and legislating the measures for collection.
- Construction of bioplastics recycling facilities to promote a truly low carbon circular economy.
- Mandatory sorting of waste for recyclables, compostables, landfills and incinerators at the household level.
- Enforcing stricter laws on littering and pollution
The above measures will :
- Contribute a share in the reduction of global warming.
- Not limit our need for packaging, especially so in a pandemic.
- Fuel the scientific community’s development for the next better biobased polymer.
- Arrest the bane of pollution once and for all, since biobased bioplastics will biodegrade in due course even if they are carelessly littered , be it on land or in the oceans.
- Vast amounts of waste will be diverted from landfills and incinerators for a new lease of life.